As a result of federal healthcare reform, individual plans have changed their guidelines for adding children under the age of 19. They can now be added at the following times only:
- Open Enrollment Periods:
- March 15th – April 30th, 2011 (for a May 1st effective date)
- September 15th – October 31st, 2011 (for a November 1st effective date)
- November 15th – December 31, 2011 (for a January 1st effective date)
- Special Exceptions: there are certain exceptions that allow children to be
enrolled anytime during the
year. Parents must apply
within 31 days of the following events to get coverage:
- No longer qualifying for a state program.
- Loss of coverage due to divorce.
- Loss of employer-sponsored coverage.
- Moved and current plan is not available at your new home.
- Also, parents/guardians can apply year-round within 60 days of birth, adoption, or placement of a child for adoption.
Feel free to contact us with any questions! This is a change to the system which previously allowed dependents to be added at anytime with the completion of a health questionnaire.
For additional information, please see the WA Insurance Commissioner site: http://www.insurance.wa.gov/consumers/health/enrolling-children.shtml.